Few things in life compare to the excitement of a baby shower for an expectant mother and her family. With so much to look forward to, planning the perfect baby shower can feel pretty overwhelming. Whether the majority of the planning is in your hands or you’re simply inserting your two cents where needed, you’ll quickly find just how much goes into the process. Tackling the long-running list of things to do should be done with meticulous care.
From making sure the decorations are color-coordinated and in perfect order to reviewing the final drafts of the guest list, plenty goes into ensuring everything stays true to the honoree’s desires. A baby shower serves as the special event to celebrate the momma-to-be with all of her closest friends and family before the arrival of her little bundle of joy.
Generally speaking, baby showers tend to take place toward the final stretch of a pregnancy. And while this may be the most hectic time for the momma-to-be, you can make the planning process painless by building a baby shower checklist and staying on top of your planning duties far ahead of the special day.
There’s plenty to figure out as you prepare for a baby shower—from coming up with ideas of what to wear to a baby shower to what foods will complement the event well. Grab a notepad and use this foolproof guide to start making your perfect baby shower planning checklist.
9-10 Weeks Out:
- Designate a host
- Anyone close to the expectant momma can host her baby shower. Traditionally, close friends, cousins, aunts, sisters-in-law, or co-workers step up to the plate.
- Select a date and time
- You’ll need to work together with the mom-to-be to figure out a few available dates that will work for her. This may make surprise showers difficult, but with all the planning that goes into it, you’ll want to make sure the lady of the hour can show up to her own celebration.
- Determine a comfortable budget
- Choose a venue
- Be sure to first consider the time of year, the number of guests you can expect, and the anticipated budget before setting your sights. Hosting a shower in your backyard is a cute, intimate idea that eliminates any stress tied to event space reservation. However, if you’re dealing with a larger group of attendees, you’ll need to consider a bigger space.
- Prep the guest list
- Confirm a color palette
- This could be dependent on the gender of the baby, or it could be a combination of the dad and mom-to-be’s favorite colors.
- Order invitations
6 Weeks Out:
- Finalize the guest list
- You won’t want any of the mom-to-be’s ex-friends or ex-flames to show up to her special day, so be sure to have her review the final guest list before any invitations are sent out.
- Prepare invitations for mailing
- Set up decoration orders
- Hire a caterer
- Will the baby shower take place during brunch, lunch, or dinner time? Plan accordingly!
- Check in with the mom-to-be about the status of her gift registry
4 Weeks Out:
- Hire or designate a photographer
- Plan out the event’s schedule of activities
- Most baby showers last anywhere between 2 and 3 hours and incorporate the playing of three popular baby shower games: “Baby Shower Bingo”, “Baby Shower Price is Right”, and “Dirty Diapers”.
- Order the cake/desserts
- Prep the thank you notes
- Arrange a lineup of extra hands for help
- As the special day fast-approaches, you’ll likely need a few sets of extra hands to make sure everything is in order. You are, after all, only one person, you’ll appreciate the extra help.
2 Weeks Out:
- Follow up with guests who have yet to RSVP
- Confirm your event space reservation
- Designate a guest to pick up the mom-to-be
- Organize a day-of agenda
2-3 Days Out:
- Purchase any foods that can/should be bought in advance
- Designate a decorator and gift-collector
- Stock up on bar items
- Just because the mama-to-be can’t indulge in her favorite libations doesn’t mean everyone else can’t! Stock up on a few different types of liquors, wines, and beers so everyone in attendance has something to sip on.
- Purchase serving supplies (utensils, plates, cups, napkins, etc.)
The Day Before:
- Pick up the cake
- Decorate the party event space
The Day Of:
- Assemble the food and drinks
- Let the games begin
- Have a great time
- The hard part is over! Now it’s time to celebrate and have a darn-good time.
All that’s left before turning to the next chapter in your favorite mommy-to-be’s life is the final arrival of her baby boy or girl. Make sure her highly anticipated baby shower is everything she could have ever dreamed of with the special people who make her life feel whole!